Friday, July 18, 2008

Holocaust Memorial Museum

One of my main reasons for making the trip to DC was to see the Holocaust Museum. I have had a mild obsession since I first saw The Diary of Anne Frank when I was 9 or so. It was also my main reason for going on the trip alone. Sure Clay can't get away for the weekend because of work, but it was all about going to the Holocaust Museum alone. I can't say that I enjoyed it, because it's not something to enjoy, but I learned a lot and was profoundly affected by the exhibit, which I spent 5 hours exploring.

The two part sculpture outside.

The sculpture's marker.

This is the magnet that I bought at the museum. It's a picture of the eternal flame in the Hall of Remembrance. I made it through the entire exhibit without any tears, but this is where I broke down. The flame is on top of a block that contains dirt from 38 of the concentration camps in Europe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to imagine how moving that visit must have been. Your pictures are awesome.

Anonymous said...

It is one of the most moving places I have ever been. Similar to being at the Vietnam Wall, but different also. One thing we didn't really notice until we were back outside, was how quiet our entire visit was.

UDAB