Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I have been trying and trying to write this for a week and it just won't work. That's my disclaimer.

I don't remember much about the first time I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I devoured most of it on the plane to Denver, I think I was about 3/4 of the way through by the time I got there. It's my least favorite of the books. I don't necessarily dislike it, it's just not on the same level as the others.

I noticed this time around just how much the whole flying the car to Hogwarts scene bugs me. I was so annoyed with Ron and Harry for their complete lack of foresight and judgment. I know they're supposed to be 12 (and that they are fictional), but it seems like such a leap to not wait two minutes to see if anyone is able to get back through from the platform.

Spoiler if you still haven't read Deathly Hallows

What I do like about the book is just how much of the overarching plot is introduced in it. Chamber of Secrets includes the destruction of the first horcrux, the first appearance of Godric Gryffindor's sword, the first bit of Voldemort's back story, and the introduction of the theme of how choices affect one’s life. The book is full of bits of information that will be more and more important as the series continues.

No comments: