Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Fingerprints of the Gods

I had so much fun writing my thoughts about Lord of the Flies that I thought I'd go back and write about the other books I've read this year.

Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock documents the author’s attempts to find evidence that an advanced society existed long before conventional scientists believe. Whether one believes him or not, it is a fascinating look at many unexplained wonders of the ancient world. I had previously heard some things such as the evidence that the Sphinx is much older than it is generally dated (weathering of the stone that could only have come from copious amounts of water), but did not know about others, like the mapping of Antarctica. It was not an easy read, but I found it enjoyable. I was especially fascinated by the section on Egypt, which has been a particular interest of mine ever since I read an article about Egyptologists in 321 Contact when I was about nine.

I don’t know if I agree with his conclusions, but he makes many good points, especially about the structure and possible uses of the pyramids. I was pretty disturbed by what he has to say about global warming and the “end of the world.” The part about mammoths being flash frozen is a bit scary, especially when he’s talking about how the world is supposed to end in fire next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's called 321 Contact, and you're welcome. Love the blog!